Wednesday, December 27, 2006

The Difference Between A Love Story And A Romantic Comedy

The sun set in my mind this evening. For someone who said they'd die for me sold some old pictures of all my memories. Chump change just to unravel the mystery. But life ain't no fun without fantasy. Some things are better left unsaid. And some people are better left untrusted. Maybe...maybe...it'll all make sense....when I'm dead. Old friends for sale. Get 'em while the gettin' is hot. Watch out, they'll kiss you to get what you got. And they'll show you the friends that they're not. Old friends...for sale.
-
Old Friends For Sale - Prince

My heart is a little sore so I'm afraid this isn't going to be good. Sorry.
Just trying to keep it honest.

This shit actually may just make you wanna blow your brains out, but I'm gonna try my damnest to brighten it up by the end OK? So if you stick in there, and make it past the hard candy shell...you may be treated with chewy chocolate goodness. Maybe.

I know it's been a while since I've posted. There's been a lot going on.

Holiday plans, Mom's 60th birthday coming around the corner, the monthly relationship arguement, and pretty much being an emotional rock with wobbly legs,...I've sorta been weary.... with a WICKED case of writers block. And oh yeah, I was supposed to be getting my driver's license, right?

Heavy sigh...I know. I know.

And do you ever get the feeling your life is just heading full speed ahead into a brick wall? (...not over a cliff...that's too romantic.) So, I'm kinda in that place where you're pumping the breaks rapidly, disbelieving they are out,... bracing.

Please ignore the fucking AFLAC duck in the passenger seat.

Not to say the crash will be bad.
I'm sure I'll come out just fine...it's just...knowing it's coming.

And that's where the title comes from. Because I have NO idea what in the hell is in store for the next year, but for the first time, I'm actually apprehensive about it.
Sorta like when you're trying to figure out if you're watching a romantic comedy or a love story. You want to know how it ends so bad because you have no idea WHICH one you might be watching.

What am I talking about?

What's the difference?

Well...let me learn ya.

In the romantic comedy... boy meets girl(or vice-versa)/ circumstance keeps them apart/somebody has an epiphany or the "oh fuck. I love him" moment/the boy/girl does an impossibly desperate and/or embarrassing act to prove that the love is real and love doesn't wait for pussies who won't take a shot/boy gets girl (or vice-versa).

Love conquers all.

The End.

In the love story....meets girl(or vice-versa)/ circumstance keeps them apart/somebody has an epiphany or the "oh fuck. I love him" moment/the boy/girl does an impossibly desperate and/or embarrassing act to prove that the love is real and love doesn't wait for pussies who won't take a shot/....but it's too late. Boy/girl is a)dead b)married c)not in love anymore.

True love denied.

The End.

And it doesn't matter how it starts off... doesn't even matter if it's funny.
It's the ENDING that defines the story.

The last time I had this feeling, I was in high school. We'd just returned from the Christmas break. I'd suddenly realized that life as I knew it, would end, for sure...on June 15th. Graduation day. Shit was gonna change dramatically...and,aside from the obvious things...moving to Delaware, starting college, I had no idea how it would change my perception of "Me". I just knew it would.

OK, fine. I shouldn't have worried so much because all things considered, things turned out pretty good. I skipped crack, jail, prostitution, and the parents are pretty proud. Which basically left me optimistic about...well...fucking everything. (Yes, the optimism gets annoying. Even to me.)

Which is why it's just... unsettling when I'm not. When I'm sure the storm cloud is heading my way and will stay fixed above my dome till it's good and ready.

Not good.

(You wanna bite though that candy and get to the chocolate now, don't you? OK. Fine. Go ahead.)


I have decided to take this permit test on Friday. Then immeditatly after, I'll be heading to driving school to take the five hour class. THEN I'm scheduling the road test. That's right. All in one day. Gangsta.

Oh. I'm also seriously looking into buying a condo. I'll be checking it out on Saturday. Though, there's something really unsettling about buying a peice of the rock and not having that "Honey...it's PERFECT!" hand clasping/hugging moment you SHOULD have when you both sign on the dotted line. It's a kind of independence that, I can't lie...I'm not sure I'm 100% OK with. The romance of buying is totally sucked out of the experience. (I blame this Disney-esque image that's seared into my brain on real estate commercials. Fuckin' Century 21.)

Yeah I'm stettin' (as Grandma would say) things that are beyond my control. I just wonder how my perception of "Me" will change...again. Because it has. Again...and more frequently than I'm comfortable with.

However, (as Grandma would say) "Ain't no use stettin' bout it." So I won't.

Because if nothing else I know this for sure....

The duck survives the crash...(with little duck-sized crutches).

And damn it, I'm psyched about that cuz that duck makes me laugh.

Hard.


See you after the test.

-Nye

No comments: