Wednesday, September 06, 2006

A Moment of Zen

"You have to live in the moment, and not worry about the future."
- Carrie Bradshaw's Zen teacher

"...However, he died penniless and alone..." - Carrie Bradshaw

Yesterday's Goal Met?: No. One mile short.


Yes, I realize that my love of "Sex And The City" makes me a walking New York City cliche,
especially since I happen to be at home right now, writing on my laptop. Yikes.
But there's something soo damn true about the lessons Carrie and the gang have so
graciously lived out for us for six whole seasons. Gems like "the fuck buddy", "Mr. Big" and
"The rabbit."

But I'll get back to that in a minute. Your here to see how my progress is going.

As good as it's going to get...and I say that in a very optimistic way, believe it or not.

At the start of this thing, I could barely kick out a mile. On a few days, given some
well wishes, amazing stories, and countless ponytail holders, I've
managed to kick out more than I ever thought I could in such a short period of time.

Which gives me no choice but to believe I will finish this race...by running.

Now, here's the part where I bitch about my body breaking down.

My shins, my ass and my lower back are all...killing me. I mean, like whoa.
Each day I have to run becomes something I love and dread at the same time,
but I'm starting to realize that once I get pass the fourth song (guess which one it is...)
I kind of go into "zen" mode.

I feel my legs going, without thinking about it. I'm aware that I'm breathing hard. Damn hard.
But I'm not. I'm beginning to love when my mind goes is into this place of calm that tells me that right now...
in this perfect moment, everything is cool.

Life, love, the world...it's all shit I subscribe to, it's all shit I choose to bring energy to and spend energy on.
While I'm running, I'm unwillingly forced into taking all the energy I expend on bullshit,
and put it into my thighs for another rotation. Oh. And I'm forced to breathe. You would think a girl would remember to do
that. Nah-uh. Not so simple.

And it's not that next song that keeps the legs moving...it's that moment.
PF Lito said "It's all in your mind...", meaning ...the moment I think I'm tired and can't kick
anymore out. And he's right. It really is.

Because my mind really isn't used to not worrying about something. SOMETHING.
The most pressing topics: The zits on my forehead (...they are bananas right now..) my nephew and his issues...
my job, my relationship, the gym shorts which love to ride up between my legs, my music being too loud,
the fact that the gym is small and quiet, so everyone can hear/see me mouthing/huffing ... "I'm bringing sexyback.."

It's not easy to tell your mind to shut the fuck up...unless you're doing something that makes that command necessary.

Now I see why people like to run. It's the moment of zen. (That, and the fact that my clothes are getting too big for me, instead of the other way around.) It's the only time you can tell yourself to shut the fuck up...and actually have no choice but to do it.

So on today's day off...it's cross-training and not with weights. It's yoga.
After a few downward facing dogs mixed in with a bit of warrior 1 & 2, I'm breathing again..and I'm there.
Moment of zen. Focused. Quiet. Perfect.

Because really...it's not that deep, is it? I kicked out 2.5 miles yesterday (on an incline), and yes..that was perfect.

And you know what...come to think of it, Carrie and the gang were always taking some yoga class. It takes them six seasons to finally get it ("it" meaning "life") together, but they do. Co-winkie-dink?

(Carrie also quit smoking, then lit up whenever "Mr. Big" gave her drama, dated a Russian, dumped her fuck buddy and moved ...twice. Sans Barishnikov, this show is pretty on point.)

-Nye

Tomorrows Goal: 3 miles and some zen.

Hot Beat For Tomorrow's Training Montage: God Shiva - Me'shell N'degeocello


PS. And if you were really reading between the lines, you'll know for a fact, I'll be on DAY TWO
on the day of this run.

No comments: